Sunday, December 9, 2012

Hunting Season is Exhausting

Hunting season came up on Derek and I really quickly this year.  Before, we would normally just grab a bag and head to my parents the night before hunting.  This year is quite different.  Having two dogs means you can't leave them at home over the weekend, like we do with the cats.  So, we pack them a bag and we head in to Greensburg to get ready for hunting.  This means they get to a have a fun weekend with my parent's dog, Lily.

Ferd loves visiting my parent's house, probably because he loves sleeping on my dad's favorite chair.

Ferd loves to lay under the dining room table like this.  But where did his balls go?

Although they have tons of fun at my parents, Ferdinand and Roxy will sleep for the next 3 days.  So much excitement really drains them.

It also drains me.

When I woke up that day with Ferd like this.

And I wonder why I wake up with headaches.

After this picture was taken, this is what he decided to do.

He suffocates me while he sleeps.

Ferd is a bad snorer.  Enough said.

This is on my head.

Although Ferdinand and Roxy sleep a lot after an exciting weekend with Lily, sometimes they have enough energy to do some playing in the yard.

They love to play tug-of-war with the rubber frisbee.

Who is going to win the tug-of-war game?

They go from tug-of-war to playing chase.

While Ferdinand and Roxy played on this particular day, Ferdinand decided he was going to try and chew on a large, 3-foot long, stick.  I don't generally let the dogs do this because I worry it will get stuck in their throats.  As I went to take the stick from Ferdinand, he decided to turn and try to run away from me.  He turned and the one side of the large stick slammed into the ground, while the end he had in his mouth jammed into his mouth.  He immediately let go of the stick, leaving it stuck in the ground.  He took a few steps and then spit up blood.  

I was very concerned that he punctured his throat or there was a piece lodged in his throat.  I opened his mouth and tried to see where the bleeding was coming from, but I couldn't find it.  So, I called the vet and they asked to see him immediately.  

I took Ferdinand into the vet and they said they wanted to put him under to scope down his throat.  I was very nervous, especially because I had to wait an hour until I could see him again.  

While I waited, a beautiful English Mastiff, named Otis, came in.  He was only 3-years-old.  The last time he was there he weighed 167 pounds.  This time, he weighed 180!!!!

Otis' owner was well over 6'3'', so you can see how tall Otis actually is.

I think that will be my next dog!

Finally, it was time to see Ferdinand.  I almost cried when he came out.  I was happy to hear that they found nothing in his throat and no damage to him.  The blood was caused by the stick cutting the vein under his tongue.  Luckily, it wasn't anything major and he is fine.  

When he came home, he had a purple bandage over his anesthesia injection site.

I think Ferdinand was grateful that I made sure he was okay.

He gave me kisses because he was so grateful.

Don't get me wrong, he was sad that he had to be put under for a while, and so was I!

They warned us he would be very tired.  He was definitely a sleepy-bug.

After the excitement of going to the vet, we had another exciting weekend to go to Greensburg for hunting.  As always, after we brought the dogs home, they have been exhausted.  

He is sleepy.  He almost fell asleep standing up.

Who says the Lowchen is the only good foot warmer?

They woke up long enough to be sad that Derek wouldn't take them to the grocery store with him.

"Please, take me with you."

The holidays are coming up quickly.  We will be dressing the dogs and cats up for the Christmas cards. Will you be dressing your animals up?

If you are, send us some cute Christmas Pictures of your pets and we will put them on the next blog!  Send them to


No comments:

Post a Comment